Thursday, February 8, 2007

Review: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konisburg

Review: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

I wish I’d read this when I was a kid.

Other than a heroine that I adore (Claudia is so cool) and an awesome little bro in Jamie, and New York City!, it’s entirely engaging.

I don’t know what’s more noteworthy: the narration style or the little bits of wisdom and truth Konigsburg interjects every so often in the most subtle of places. The only other story of hers I’ve read was The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, which I really liked because of its intelligent young protagonist (what’s not to love about a kid who quotes Melville’s Bartleby?) and the story’s simplicity and credibility. While Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is an entirely different story, it continues all I loved about Schuyler Place. Verity will most definitely be reading this one sooner rather than later!

No comments: