Saturday, March 10, 2007

Review: Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

So, like, everything a kids’ book should be? It’s this one. Wowza, I’ve read some good fiction this year.
I read Inkheart last year, and it was cool enough, but it wasn’t the best book since Harry Potter or anything. Cynthia said I needed to read this one, and wowza! I loved this book! It’s 635 pages packed with fantasty realism. Some people (lit purists) would have a lot of stupid bones to pick with Ms. Funke, I’m sure, what with all the passive tense (not nearly as bad as Jo Rowling’s, though), and all the focus put on characters that should be minor. But that’s what I love about it: no character is minor. In fact, that’s one of the points of the book.

Jack and I love books that explore the world and people in it. It’s one of those things I disagree with the most in the pro writing world–the streamline, cut-cut-cut, edit-edit-edit, action-action-action crap. I’ll do it if an agent or editor tells me to, but you gotta know I’m not throwing those scenes away. Nope, they’re in my back pocket.

Also why I like spinoffs and series.

Anyway, this book is amazing, and I love it, and my kids will be reading it even though there’s foul language in it. I’m only mad because I have to wait until fall 2008 for the next in the trilogy.

No comments: