Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare



Summary: When Clary Fray witnesses three tattoo-covered teenagers murder another teen, she is unable to prove the crime because the victim disappears right in front of her eyes, and no one else can see the killers. She learns that the teens are Shadowhunters (humans who hunt and kill demons), and Clary, a mundie (i.e., mundane human), should not be able to see them either. Shortly after this discovery, her mother, Jocelyn, is kidnapped. Jocelyn is the only person who knows the whereabouts of The Mortal Cup, a dangerous magical item that turns humans into Shadowhunters. Clary must find the cup and keep it from a renegade sector of Shadowhunters bent on eliminating all nonhumans, including benevolent werewolves and friendly vampires. –Heather M. Campbell, Philip S. Miller Library, Castle Rock, CO

My Review: I've read a lot of poor reviews about this series, and I just can't agree. Having finished the whole set, I love it more now than ever -- and I totally fell in love with it from City of Bones. I try hard to stay spoiler-free in these reviews, so I'll just say that City of Glass is an excellent finale: the character development progresses steadily and is realistic. I absolutely love where it goes, and how it gets there. Definitely one of my favorite series of all time! I can't wait for The Infernal Devices! Shadowhunters in Victorian London! OMGSQUEE!

1 comment:

ReaderGirl said...

*mustreadthesebooksbadly* I've been meaning to for so long! I'm like the only one who hasn't! >_< Great review! It's hard to be spoiler free when reviewing a series but you did a great job! ^^